[ghc-steering-committee] #409: Exportable named defaults, Recommendation: Partial Accept

Eric Seidel eric at seidel.io
Wed Jun 30 03:19:25 UTC 2021

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021, at 22:38, Richard Eisenberg wrote:
> Just to chime in now that I'm back in action: I'm reasonably happy with
> the final result here

With Richard in support, that leaves Simon PJ opposed to explicit imports [1]. So we have Richard opposed to implicit imports, Simon opposed to explicit imports, and the rest of us (I believe) amenable to either.

I think we have two options at this point: we can keep trying to achieve consensus, or we can take a vote. Richard, Simon, since the two of you seem to have the strongest opinions on the import question, do you think we can reach a consensus here? I'm happy to set up a call if it would help to discuss things live.

> but still curious about whether the new warning will be on by default or not.

I believe it should be off by default. The warning would interfere with Prelude replacements (and the Prelude itself, should it adopt ExportedDefaults), which I view as the biggest usecase for these extensions.

Thanks!
Eric

[1]: https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/409#issuecomment-864809405