[ghc-steering-committee] #409: Exportable named defaults, Recommendation: Partial Accept

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sun Jun 27 15:39:41 UTC 2021

Hi,

Am Sonntag, dem 20.06.2021 um 22:24 -0400 schrieb Eric Seidel:
> I recommend we treat defaulting rules like any other importable entity to match how the proposal treats them in export lists

I am not confident that I can fully predict the practical implications
of this design, e.g. how well it works for people who advocate for an
“explicit import lists always” style. But yes, it is a reasonable
starting point.

A gut feeling tells me that defaulting rules are a bit more like
typeclass instances and a bit less like named entities (which you
import to refer to them in your text). Alejandro voiced that feeling
too. If we now add a way to mention these typeclass-instancy-thing in
import and export lists, this _might_ set precendent which could
eventually lead to syntax for explicitly exporting or importing type
class instances. This is not a value judgment, just a thought.

  mail at joachim-breitner.de