[ghc-steering-committee] #380 GHC2021: Structured summary

Alejandro Serrano Mena trupill at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 12:22:56 UTC 2021

Hi, and happy new year to everybody!

Even though I share with Arnaud a bit of sadness about GADTs, I think that
the set of extensions we ended up with is quite coherent:
- We switch on by default some “simple syntactic” extensions, like new
forms of numbers, empty cases, and so on.
- We put all generically-derivable type classes on the same ground; no more
special treatment of Eq, Ord… just because they were there earlier.
- We enable the most battle-tested extensions to type classes which never
compromise the safety.
- We make the kind system more regular by enabling PolyKinds,
ConstraintKinds, and KindSignatures; but no fancy promotion from DataKinds.

I think it’s good that we’ve decided to keep *both* GADTs and TypeFamilies
out. For me this gives the message that type level computation is still
something we considered advanced and not fully settled; hence it’s still
under a pragma.

Kind regards,
Alejandro