[ghc-steering-committee] GHC2021: a final plea for ScopedTypeVariables

Alejandro Serrano Mena trupill at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 20:25:54 UTC 2020

Dear all,
I’ll try once again (this is the last one, I’ll promise) to convince the
Committee of including ScopedTypeVariables as part of GHC2021. It has been
with us for a long time — so their problems seem well understood — and the
community seems to want it as part of this new “language version” — which
means that people are really using it.

Most of the criticisms are around the fact the the current manifestation is
not ideal, something I agree with. I would say in this case we should not
let perfect be the enemy of good: if during the years, once types in
patterns or Dependent Haskell extensions require this, the scoping
mechanism needs to change, we can do it. But as of now, ScopedTypeVariables
is a very important piece in the flavour of Haskell in main usage (given
its mainstream acceptance).

forall (member :: Committee). Regards -> member