[ghc-steering-committee] GHC2021: a final plea for ScopedTypeVariables

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Dec 9 12:08:01 UTC 2020

Most of the criticisms are around the fact the the current manifestation is not ideal, something I agree with. I would say in this case we should not let perfect be the enemy of good: if during the years, once types in patterns or Dependent Haskell extensions require this, the scoping mechanism needs to change, we can do it. But as of now, ScopedTypeVariables is a very important piece in the flavour of Haskell in main usage (given its mainstream acceptance).

I agree with this.  Not having scoped type variables (in any form) is a huge blemish.  The existing design may not be perfect, but it’s worked rather well for a long time.

Simon