[ghc-steering-committee] Status

Christopher Allen cma at bitemyapp.com
Wed Apr 17 18:38:51 UTC 2019

I'm happy to let someone else take my slot.

I gave my recommendation for ExtraCommas, acceptance of the original
proposal as written. I talk with the proposer almost every day so I
know where he stands. He still thinks it's worth doing and would like
to see it accepted. I think ExtraCommas merits acceptance. If we can't
achieve consensus on it then it should be rejected so it gets cleared
off the slate. I'm not inclined to argue a syntactic extension like
this, but I will say this:

The proposal captures a nice design element that we've seen work very
well ergonomically in Rust. We're never going to make the same
decisions with the same tradeoffs as a totally different language but
any time there is a relatively isolated "good idea" like this, I'd
like to see us try to take advantage of that and see if it works for
us.

Cheers,
Chris Allen

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 4:43 AM Joachim Breitner
<mail at joachim-breitner.de> wrote:

> Dear committee,
>
> has it really been three months since the last status?
> Time flies like an arrow (and fruit flies like banana).
>
> Some proposals are stalled on individual members of the committee who
> have become much less active recently (Manuel, Ben, partly Chris). I
> encourage you (and everyone else of course) to realistically assess
> your commitment, and – if you think that that’s in the best interest of
> all involved – indicate if we should start to find new members with
> fresh engery.
>
> Anyways, quite a few things have happened:
>
>  * were asked to review these proposals:
>    #167 Deprecated Entities (shepherd: Vitaly)
>    #203 PtrRep (shepherd: SPJ)
>    #176 SCC Parsing (shepherd: Simon M)
>    #193 forall keyword (shepherd: Eric)
>    #155 Type Vars in Lambdas (shepherd: Iavor)
>    #209 Levity polymorphic lift (shepherd: Eric)
>    #210 -Wredundand-minimal-methods (shepherd: me)
>    #190 module qualified syntax (shepherd: Simon M)
>    #207 type variables in quotations (shepherd: Richard)
>    #195 newtype Q (shepherd: Vitaly)
>    #204 nested brackets (shepherd: Iavor)
>    #179 Printing of foralls (shepherd: me)
>    #177 constrained type families (shepherd: Vitaly)
>
>  * got a recommendation from shepherds about:
>    #193 forall keyword (rec: acccept)
>    #176 SCC Parsing (rec: accept)
>    #210 -Wredundand-minimal-methods (rec: accept)
>    #209 Levity polymorphic lift (rec: accept)
>    #207 type variables in quotations (rec: reject)
>    #167 Deprecated Entities (rec: accept)
>    #195 newtype Q (rec: accept)
>    #190 module qualified syntax (rec: accept)
>    #204 nested brackets (rec: shelve)
>    #179 Printing of foralls (rec: acccept)
>    #203 PtrRep (rec: accept)
>
>  * decided about the following proposals
>    #158 Add setField to HasField (accept)
>    #28 Bundling patterns with type synonyms (reject)
>    #167 Deprecated Entities (reject)
>    #193 forall keyword (acccept)
>    #207 type variables in quotations (reject)
>    #195 newtype Q (needs revision)
>    #210 -Wredundand-minimal-methods (accept)
>    #203 PtrRep (accept)
>    #176 SCC Parsing (accept)
>
> We currently have to act on the following 8 proposals, up two since the
> last status:
>
> Levity polymorphic lift
> https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/209
> Shepherd: Eric
>
> Module qualified syntax
> https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/190
> Shepherd: Simon M
>
> Tweak printing of foralls
> https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/179
> Shepherd: me
>
> Simple constrained type families
> https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/177
> Shepherd: Vitaly
>
> Binding type variables in lambda expressions
> https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/155
> Shepherd: Iavor
>
> Type annotated quoters
> https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/125
> [...]