[ghc-steering-committee] GHC steering committee participation

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Sat Feb 4 03:03:35 UTC 2017

Manuel M T Chakravarty <chak at justtesting.org> writes:

> Usually, I would agree with what you are writing. However, this is a
> special situation as Atze never actually started to participate as a
> member of this committee. The situation is the same as when he had
> declined Simon and Simon’s original request. In that case, Simon and
> Simon would just have picked somebody else. Hence, if both Simons are
> in favour of replacing Atze by Roman, I think, we should just do this
> and, if they want to pick somebody else, the same applies.
>
> Personally, I would love to have somebody from SC involved as they are
> one of the biggest commercial users of Haskell. That is a very
> valuable perspective to tap into.

I've been sitting on my original reply to Joachim's original email for
most of the day as I'm very much on the fence on this.

On one hand, we did send out an email officially announcing the
composition of the committee and it does feel a bit odd to change things
without giving community members another chance at throwing their hat in
the ring. On the other hand, I agree that we are still getting started;
had this happened a several weeks ago the Simons would have just chosen
someone else. Moreover, having Roman on board would be great.

On balance I suppose moving ahead with Roman sounds fine.

Cheers,

- Ben