Documentation previews on Gitlab pipelines

Teofil Camarasu teofilcamarasu at gmail.com
Wed May 29 22:03:24 UTC 2024

Hi folks,

I just wanted to advertise that it is now possible to see rendered previews
of documentation changes (haddocks/user guide/etc) on Gitlab pipelines.

To access this you need to:
1. Wait for a pipeline to complete.
2. From the MR page, click on "Expand" under the pipeline widget, then
"Documentation Preview"
3. This takes you to the job artefacts. Then open `docs/index.html`.
4. Gitlab will then redirect you to the hosted page.

Alternatively instead of (2) you can open the "docs-tarball" job directly
and click on "Browse" to go to the artefacts.

I've also attached a screen recording to make it a bit clearer.

I actually set this up a few weeks ago in !12415
<https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/merge_requests/12415>. But I forgot
to advertise this more widely at the time. And Gitlab isn't super helpful
in directing users to it. So, I realised most folks probably don't know it
exists.

Cheers,
Teo