questions about head.hackage

Andrea Bedini andrea at andreabedini.com
Tue Jul 23 03:29:03 UTC 2024

On Tue, 23 Jul 2024, at 7:38 AM, jappie klooster wrote:
> For the stability working group I'm trying to understand how many
> packages head.hackage allows you to build.
> Does anyone know the answer to this or have an idea how I can find out?

I don't have the numbers you are looking for but one data-point is that cabal-install itself (which has a reasonable number of dependencies) typically does not compile with a freshly released GHC. This forces to temporarily add head.hackage in CI when a new GHC releases.

IMHO, using head.hackage to test a source-distribution defeats the purposes of testing. We cannot (and should not) assume those building cabal's source distribution(s) are using it, and therefore `cabal install cabal-install` will end up succeeding in our CI and failing for everybody else.

My 2c,
Andrea

--
Andrea Bedini