Haddock needs help

Hécate hecate at glitchbra.in
Thu May 26 14:39:18 UTC 2022

Hi everyone,

Haddock needs help.

Since I joined the Haddock team to help triage the tickets and interact
with the community, we lost all of our experts, and I didn't have time
to level up quickly enough to handle the mass of incoming tickets, let
alone actually reduce the number of tickets to number below two hundred.

As things stand now, the Haddock code base is in a disastrous state,
largely not understood and its CI is in shambles.
There are things that we can improve on the short and longer term – see
https://github.com/haskell/haddock/issues/1465 – but the greater lack of
expertise means that any project involving some core business logic is
bound to be utterly and unnecessarily painful. The Hi Haddock GSOC
proposal, whilst fully implemented in GHC, cannot be brought in Haddock
at this moment in a reasonable timeline without any help.

At present time, I need:

* People who can refactor the code base, following modern software
engineering practices, like domain-driven design and test-driven
development.
* UI developers, proficient in CSS and web accessibility.

If you feel like you fit some of these criteria, please do contact me at
this address. If your company can spare some engineering hours for you
to give a hand, you're most welcome to do so.

Just so we are clear, I am immensely grateful to the people who have
submitted fixes and patches these past months, but this situation is
untenable.

Hécate ✨
🐦: @TechnoEmpress
IRC: Hecate