[ANNOUNCE] GHC 9.4.1-rc1 is now available

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Sat Jul 23 13:03:53 UTC 2022

George Colpitts <george.colpitts at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Ben
>
> /ust/bin/xattr exists on my machine. Running "xattr -rc ." manually does
> not fix the bug as noted at the start of 21506. It was sufficient in the
> past but no longer fixes this error. As noted farther down in 21506
>
> the workaround given in #17418 </ghc/ghc/-/issues/17418> no longer works.
> It did not work in 9.2.2 either. The current workaround is similar to what
> Kazu explained in
> https://twitter.com/kazu_yamamoto/status/1500643489985761282
>
> sudo xattr -rc .
>
> sudo spctl --global-disable
>
> ./configure
>
> sudo make install
>
> sudo spctl --global-enable
>
> It seems there are files created during sudo make install that have an
> issue as xattr -rc . was never run on them. Perhaps this is related to
> using Hadrian. Is it possible that the fix that was made was never tested?

I tested the change both manually and via CI on the hardware that I have
access to; in both cases installing the binary distribution resulted in
a functional compiler. However, given how the effects of SIP are
essentially undocumented, it is very hard to know what variables may be
at play here. Running spctl --status on the machine on which I tested
claims:

    > spctl --status
    objc[48908]: Class SPExecutionPolicy is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemPolicy.framework/Versions/A/SystemPolicy and /usr/sbin/spctl. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
    objc[48908]: Class AppWrapper is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemPolicy.framework/Versions/A/SystemPolicy and /usr/sbin/spctl. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
    objc[48908]: Class AppWrapperPolicyResult is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemPolicy.framework/Versions/A/SystemPolicy and /usr/sbin/spctl. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
    objc[48908]: Class AppWrapperPolicy is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemPolicy.framework/Versions/A/SystemPolicy and /usr/sbin/spctl. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
    objc[48908]: Class SPLog is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemPolicy.framework/Versions/A/SystemPolicy and /usr/sbin/spctl. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
    objc[48908]: Class MIS is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemPolicy.framework/Versions/A/SystemPolicy and /usr/sbin/spctl. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
    objc[48908]: Class SPExecutionHistoryItem is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemPolicy.framework/Versions/A/SystemPolicy and /usr/sbin/spctl. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
    objc[48908]: Class SPExecutionPolicyItem is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemPolicy.framework/Versions/A/SystemPolicy and /usr/sbin/spctl. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
    objc[48908]: Class SPDeveloperPolicy is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemPolicy.framework/Versions/A/SystemPolicy and /usr/sbin/spctl. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
    objc[48908]: Class GKScanResult is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemPolicy.framework/Versions/A/SystemPolicy and /usr/sbin/spctl. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
    assessments enabled

Which to me suggests that SIP (which, I imagine, is responsible for
#21506) is enabled. However, the lack of comprehensive documentation
here makes it very hard to say with certainty what might differ between
your machine and mine. Without more information I don't know how to
proceed here. Perhaps someone (Moritz or Simon, perhaps) with more
familiarity with macOS has some insight?

Thanks for your help in testing, George!

Cheers,

- Ben