convention around pattern synonyms

Richard Eisenberg lists at richarde.dev
Wed Dec 29 22:07:20 UTC 2021

> On Dec 29, 2021, at 1:19 PM, Edward Kmett <ekmett at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> If this is just about GHC internals, then by all means carry on.

Yes, I should have clarified: this is just and solely about GHC internals! I have no designs on suggesting a wider convention like this. Indeed, both of the designs you describe below make great sense to use pattern synonyms for -- and without any herald that you are doing so. Within GHC, however, we now have a few cases where pattern synonyms are effectively behaving like or-patterns, which I find unexpected and confusing without a marker telling me Something Unusual is going on.

(Why? Because in both cases, the pattern synonym is really designed to act like a constructor. In the first case, if I understand correctly, the pattern synonym is just a renaming of an existing constructor, with no extra computation. In the second case, if I understand correctly, the pattern synonym captures what used to be a constructor. It's plausible that GHC will want to adopt either of these patterns at some point in the future, but we do not do either one today, and so I would say to address any change to my proposed coding convention when this happens.)

Richard