Thoughts on async RTS API?

Cheng Shao cheng.shao at tweag.io
Thu Dec 16 13:57:19 UTC 2021

Hi Alex,

Thanks for reminding. hs_try_put_mvar() wouldn't work for our use
case. If the C function finishes work and calls hs_try_put_mvar()
synchronously, in Haskell takeMVar wouldn't block at all, which is all
fine. However, if the C function is expected to call hs_try_put_mvar()
asynchronously, the non-threaded RTS will hang!

Here's a minimal repro. It works with non-threaded RTS at first, but
if you change scheduleCallback() in C so hs_try_put_mvar() is only
invoked in a detached pthread, then the program hangs.

The proposed async RTS API and related scheduler refactorings can't be
avoided, if the MVar is intended to be fulfilled in an async manner,
using the non-threaded RTS, on a platform with extremely limited
syscall capabilities.

```haskell
import Control.Concurrent
import Control.Exception
import Foreign
import Foreign.C
import GHC.Conc

main :: IO ()
main = makeExternalCall >>= print

makeExternalCall :: IO CInt
makeExternalCall = mask_ $ do
  mvar <- newEmptyMVar
  sp <- newStablePtrPrimMVar mvar
  fp <- mallocForeignPtr
  withForeignPtr fp $ \presult -> do
    (cap,_) <- threadCapability =<< myThreadId
    scheduleCallback sp cap presult
    takeMVar mvar
    peek presult

foreign import ccall "scheduleCallback"
  scheduleCallback :: StablePtr PrimMVar
                   -> Int
                   -> Ptr CInt
                   -> IO ()
```

```c
#include "HsFFI.h"
#include "Rts.h"
#include "RtsAPI.h"
#include <unistd.h>
#include <pthread.h>

struct callback {
    HsStablePtr mvar;
    int cap;
    int *presult;
};

void* callback(struct callback *p)
{
    usleep(1000);
    *p->presult = 42;
    hs_try_putmvar(p->cap,p->mvar);
    free(p);
    return NULL;
}

void scheduleCallback(HsStablePtr mvar, HsInt cap, int *presult)
{
    pthread_t t;
    struct callback *p = malloc(sizeof(struct callback));
    p->mvar = mvar;
    p->cap = cap;
    p->presult = presult;
    // pthread_create(&t, NULL, callback, p);
    // pthread_detach(t);
    callback(p);
}
```