Measuring compiler performance

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Mon Apr 6 16:33:21 UTC 2020

Hi,

Am Montag, den 06.04.2020, 11:03 +0200 schrieb Andreas Klebinger:
> > Also, what's the status of gipeda? The most recent commit at
> > https://perf.haskell.org/ghc/ is from "about a year ago"?
>

> I think the author stopped maintaining it after he switched jobs. So
> it's currently not useful
> for investigating performance.

I think a few things happened.
For a while, the dedicated builder (which was a machine on Richard’s
university) was down.
Then there was a phase where data was collected and the page was
generated, but somehow the upload to the web hosting stopped working.
Ben started to work on running these things “more properly” as part of
Circle CI (but that never finished).
And then there is the ways of recording performance data via git notes,
which maybe was meant to be fed into gipeda somehow?

Somewhere in this confusion (and the fact that there wasn’t much
complaining about the lack of this service) it fell off the table.

> But I'm sure he wouldn't object if anyone were to pick it up.

Definitey not! It seems that “the other” solutions didn’t materialize
as quickly as we hoped for, so reactivating perf.haskell.org might be
useful. Anybody willing to drive this? Happy to advise!

Cheers,
Joachim

--
Joachim Breitner