What does a milestone mean?

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Tue Sep 24 21:55:33 UTC 2019

Matthew Pickering <matthewtpickering at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> It seems that basically every new issues gets triaged with the 8.10.1
> milestone, what does this mean?
>
> It seems like a lot of the issue's won't get fixed for 8.10, or at any
> foreseeable point in the future which dilutes the milestoning.
>
> Therefore I don't think we should assign a certain milestone to a
> ticket unless either
>
> 1. The issue is considered necessary to fix for that milestone (ie, a
> regression)
> 2. Someone is planning to work on the ticket for that milestone (ie, a
> feature/improvement)

I generally set the milestone of new tickets that I think could
plausibly be handled before the next merge window to the next major
release. I then go through the list and bump tickets to the next
milestone prior to forking.

This is an extension of our treatment of milestones under Trac,
where the field would IIRC default to the next major release and
perform mass re-milestonings prior to release, eventually de-milestoning
a ticket if it is remilestoned several times with no visible progress.

This approach has the nice property that it ensures that each ticket is
looked at periodically. On the other hand, it also means that the next
release milestone is quite cluttered.

I wouldn't be opposed to reconsidering this policy.

Cheers,

- Ben