GHC 8.10.1 Release Plan
sandy at sandymaguire.me
Sun Sep 22 05:49:50 UTC 2019
I'd like to get !1730 in, and ideally !1739 if it doesn't require a
On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 4:23 AM Artem Pelenitsyn <a.pelenitsyn at gmail.com>
> Hello Ben,
> I hope to push the threaded RTS by default MR over the line now when the
> GHC proposal has been accepted.
> Here is the MR: https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/merge_requests/538
> It has some unstable test suite failures: they appear only in some
> Notably, validate-x86_64-linux-deb9-debug fails more than others:
> I'd appreciate if someone could take a look and suggest a path forward.
> Best wishes,
> On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 at 16:08, Ben Gamari <ben at well-typed.com> wrote:
>> tl;dr. If you have unmerged work that you would like to be in GHC 8.10
>> reply to this email and submit it for review in the next couple
>> of weeks.
>> Hello everyone,
>> Now that GHC 8.8.1 is behind us it is time that we begin thinking about
>> 8.10. There seems to be broad consensus within the subset of the
>> community that I sampled that we should try to hold to the usual release
>> date near the end of year for 8.10.1. I believe that this is a feasible
>> goal with the caveat that we push the final release back by a couple of
>> weeks in recognition that busy schedules of the holiday season tends to
>> throw unexpected wrenches into the release process.
>> In particular I would suggest the following concrete schedule:
>> October 18 2019: start of one week freeze in preparation for
>> October 25 2019: ghc-8.10 branch cut
>> November 8 2019: 8.10.1-alpha1
>> November 22 2019: 8.10.1-alpha2
>> December 6 2019: 8.10.1-alpha3
>> December 20 2019: 8.10.1-rc1
>> January 10 2020: Final 8.10.1 release
>> If you have yet-unmerged work that you would like to see in GHC 8.10
>> please do be in touch and open a merge request ASAP.
>> One obvious question is how we will avoid the many delays that plagued
>> the 8.8.1 release. Without delving too deep into the specific reasons for
>> these delays, the reasons fell into two buckets:
>> 1. delays due to CI stabilization
>> 2. coordination delays with upstream libraries
>> 3. fallout from MonadFail changes which landed only late in the release
>> Of these, (1) is largely behind us and (3) will be avoided by ensuring
>> that core libraries changes are landed *before* the branch date.
>> This leaves consideration (2). The problem of upstream library
>> coordination has always been a tricky one but has grown more acute as
>> our release schedule has accelerated. While no technical solution will
>> eliminate the issue entirely, we believe that decoupling GHC's release
>> schedule from those of its dependencies' is an important mitigation.
>> We will be discussing this with upstream library maintainers in
>> the coming weeks to establish how we can ensure that releases are
>> available well ahead of the GHC 8.10 release, ideally by alpha2.
>> - Ben
>> ghc-devs mailing list
>> ghc-devs at haskell.org
> ghc-devs mailing list
> ghc-devs at haskell.org
I'm currently travelling the world, sleeping on people's couches and doing
full-time collaboration on Haskell projects. If this seems interesting to
you, please consider signing up as a host!
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the ghc-devs