GHC 8.10.1 Release Plan
a.pelenitsyn at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 02:23:20 UTC 2019
I hope to push the threaded RTS by default MR over the line now when the
GHC proposal has been accepted.
Here is the MR: https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/merge_requests/538
It has some unstable test suite failures: they appear only in some
Notably, validate-x86_64-linux-deb9-debug fails more than others:
I'd appreciate if someone could take a look and suggest a path forward.
On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 at 16:08, Ben Gamari <ben at well-typed.com> wrote:
> tl;dr. If you have unmerged work that you would like to be in GHC 8.10
> reply to this email and submit it for review in the next couple
> of weeks.
> Hello everyone,
> Now that GHC 8.8.1 is behind us it is time that we begin thinking about
> 8.10. There seems to be broad consensus within the subset of the
> community that I sampled that we should try to hold to the usual release
> date near the end of year for 8.10.1. I believe that this is a feasible
> goal with the caveat that we push the final release back by a couple of
> weeks in recognition that busy schedules of the holiday season tends to
> throw unexpected wrenches into the release process.
> In particular I would suggest the following concrete schedule:
> October 18 2019: start of one week freeze in preparation for
> October 25 2019: ghc-8.10 branch cut
> November 8 2019: 8.10.1-alpha1
> November 22 2019: 8.10.1-alpha2
> December 6 2019: 8.10.1-alpha3
> December 20 2019: 8.10.1-rc1
> January 10 2020: Final 8.10.1 release
> If you have yet-unmerged work that you would like to see in GHC 8.10
> please do be in touch and open a merge request ASAP.
> One obvious question is how we will avoid the many delays that plagued
> the 8.8.1 release. Without delving too deep into the specific reasons for
> these delays, the reasons fell into two buckets:
> 1. delays due to CI stabilization
> 2. coordination delays with upstream libraries
> 3. fallout from MonadFail changes which landed only late in the release
> Of these, (1) is largely behind us and (3) will be avoided by ensuring
> that core libraries changes are landed *before* the branch date.
> This leaves consideration (2). The problem of upstream library
> coordination has always been a tricky one but has grown more acute as
> our release schedule has accelerated. While no technical solution will
> eliminate the issue entirely, we believe that decoupling GHC's release
> schedule from those of its dependencies' is an important mitigation.
> We will be discussing this with upstream library maintainers in
> the coming weeks to establish how we can ensure that releases are
> available well ahead of the GHC 8.10 release, ideally by alpha2.
> - Ben
> ghc-devs mailing list
> ghc-devs at haskell.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the ghc-devs