Changes in GHC API modularity with the "Encode shape information in PMOracle" MR

Shayne Fletcher shayne.fletcher at daml.com
Mon Sep 16 21:38:20 UTC 2019

Hi Sebastian,

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 5:23 PM Sebastian Graf <sgraf1337 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Shayne,
>
> Sorry to hear that! We didn't consider modularity at all and I would be
> happy to try to refactor in a way that would allow `ghc-lib-parser` to be
> properly separated again.
> I'm fairly certain that I didn't directly touch anything parser related,
> but apparently the new cyclic import of PmOracle within TcRnTypes (which is
> also exposed from `ghc-lib-parser`) pulled in the other half of GHC.
> I'll see if I can fix that tomorrow, if only by extracting a separate
> `Types`-style module.

That sounds awesome. Tremendous. Thank-you! Please feel free to reach out
to me if there's anything I can do to help your analysis[*]!

[*] For the record, the procedure for calculating the `ghc-lib-parser`
modules is a little complicated by there needing to be some generated
equivalents of `.hsc` files present for this to work but the procedure is
at the end of the day just `ghc -M` invoked over `Parser.hs`.

> Cheers,
> Sebastian

Fingers crossed and all the best!

--
*Shayne Fletcher*
Language Engineer */* +1 917 699 7663

--
This message, and any attachments, is for the intended recipient(s) only,
may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or proprietary