Newcomers' Guide to GHC Development

Alexandre Rodrigues alexandreR_B at outlook.com
Tue Mar 12 23:35:14 UTC 2019

Hello;

I’d like to ask something regarding this effort. Right now, GHC’s repository is mirrored in these locations:

  *   Phabricator<https://phabricator.haskell.org/diffusion/GHC/>
  *   git.haskell.org<https://git.haskell.org/>
  *   GitHub<https://github.com/ghc/ghc/>
  *   GitLab<https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/>

Most of these have associated READMEs that encourage users to contribute patches to that particular instance, which does not really reflect the current state of affairs: right now, it is my understanding that GitLab is where all (new) patches are to be submitted.

With the recent migration to GitLab and archival of Trac, will the first two be moved to read-only status like the Trac service?

Regarding GitHub/GitLab – do we still want to accept contributions to GitHub? If so, what kind? All kinds? Maybe just small documentation patches?

I believe all of this should be documented to avoid fragmentation of contribution efforts. I still remember my first contribution was a little confusing because of this.