git clone https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc.git on travis doesn't work

Shayne Fletcher shayne.fletcher at daml.com
Sat Mar 9 12:15:15 UTC 2019

On Sat, Mar 9, 2019 at 1:23 AM Ben Gamari <ben at well-typed.com> wrote:

> Shayne Fletcher via ghc-devs <ghc-devs at haskell.org> writes:
>
> [...]

> I feel like I'm missing something here. I recall you mentioned this in
> your previous message but there I'm still lacking crucial context. Can
> you offer any additional details? How exactly does it fail?

git clone https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc.git fails on Travis Linux
Ubuntu VMs with "fatal: unable to access '
https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc.git/': gnutls_handshake() failed:
Handshake failed.

In principle there is no reason why cloning from gitlab.haskell.org from
> Travis shouldn't work. I'd be happy to fix the issue if there is one but
> without knowing more I'm pretty powerless to change the situation.

The issue as I understand relates to gitlab's use of the "Let's Encrypt"
certificate authority. Apparently this is a relatively new authority and is
unrecognized by the SSL software on the Ubuntu VM that Travis provides. I
don't know of any workarounds at this time that can be applied in the VM
that to overcome this problem. I also don't know if anything can be done on
the gitlab side to mitigate it but suspect not. I do have a procedure that
allows me to side-step the problem for my own case and can share that with
anyone that needs it.

Cheers,

--
This message, and any attachments, is for the intended recipient(s) only,
may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or proprietary