Haddock tree spongled

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Wed Mar 6 21:59:54 UTC 2019

"Boespflug, Mathieu" <m at tweag.io> writes:

> If the status quo is poor, then why not merge the two? git-subtree won't
> fix the problem and will arguably be even harder to manage than submodules.

The status quo is indeed awkward at times. However, merging Haddock into
GHC would only serve to shuffle this awkwardness to be felt by a
different group of people.

Currently the awkward workflow is contributing a GHC patch that affects
the subset of GHC's AST that Haddock cares about. This is unfortunate
but not unexpected; working with coupled systems always brings
challenges. However, this is not the common case.

If we were to merge Haddock into GHC then we make harder the lives of
those who work on Haddock independently from GHC. All Haddock changes
would need to go through the GHC tree, we would need to setup special CI
rules to run only the haddock testsuite, and the histories of the two
orthogonal projects would be awkwardly coupled. Given that most of the
commits in the haddock repository are independent from GHC this seems
like a poor trade-off.

As a general rule I think we would be better off trying to loosen GHC's
coupling to other projects than further entrench them.

Cheers,

- Ben