Haddock tree spongled

Alec Theriault alec.theriault at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 22:04:06 UTC 2019

Merging Haddock into GHC’s subtree would undoubtedly simplify the GHC workflow for patches affecting Haddock. There are a couple other considerations though:
Haddock currently sees the bulk of its contributions and bug fixes on its stable branches, not the ghc-head branch (which is the one GHC tracks). Not only is this exactly the opposite of GHC, but it also makes outside contributions and CI much simpler.
The Haddock project is actually 3 packages, two of which are libraries, one of which is expected to build on GHC going all the way back to the 7.4.* series. AFAICT, the packages kept in GHC’s source tree usually advance in lockstep with GHC.
Running the full GHC CI for most of Haddock’s changes seems a waste of resources and an unnecessary delay. Besides, Haddock actually has a larger test suite, which is only expected to compile on the stable branch (although I try to keep it running on ghc-head with the help of head.hackage). I recently incorporated the other part of Haddock’s testsuite into GHC’s testsuite, so I’m hoping there will be less breakage coming from ghc-head.
Interleaving git histories would (mostly) just make bisecting both GHC and Haddock more of a pain.
The right way to solve this problem is probably to find a better way of factoring GHC-specific functionality out and putting only that in the GHC tree. This is a good long term goal, but I don’t think we are quite there yet. Some other ongoing changes in both GHC and Haddock are blocking the way forward on this front…

Thanks,
Alec