[GHC] #16348: GHC HEAD regression: tyConAppArgs

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Wed Mar 6 03:57:39 UTC 2019

Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <ghc-devs at haskell.org> writes:

> Matthew, Ben
>
> I've just received 40-odd messages like this one. It looks as if Marge
> is now sending commit messages at Trac ticket messages, which is
> great. Will that happen after the move to GitLab.
>
> Also, is this sudden wave because a whole lot of commits have now
> landed in master? Or is it somehow an old backlog stuck in a mail
> queue?

This happened because the GitLab -> git.haskell.org mirroring
process was stuck. Yesterday I un-stuck it which then triggered the push
of approximately 40 commits, triggering the old Trac commit notifier
which produced the messages you received.

Regarding commit notifications after we migrate:

 * Tickets will have notes added when they are mentioned by a commit
   message. As we discussed earlier, messages won't include the commit
   message text but rather only a reference to the referring commit SHA.
   For instance, this looks like [1].

   If we find the indirection between the ticket and the mentioning
   commit message to be problematic we can certainly revisit this.

 * Commit notifications will be sent to ghc-commits at haskell.org; the
   format will change a bit but the overall content won't change.

 * Unfortunately a mention of a ticket from a commit does not produce a
   notification email. This is in my opinion a rather serious issue that
   we will need to work around since it makes closing tickets after
   merge far more painful than necessary.

> There may be some housekeeping to do, to close tickets, check
> regression tests and add pointers to the appropriate tests. Is anyone
> up for doing that?

Yes, I have been accumulating a sizeable queue of tickets to
sort through. I've started working through this but certainly won't
finish tonight. I have a few other obligations tomorrow but I'll try to
pick it up again later in the day.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://gitlab.staging.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/issues/16260#note_173847