a better workflow?

Daniel Gröber dxld at darkboxed.org
Wed Jul 24 02:48:29 UTC 2019

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 09:42:37PM -0400, Richard Eisenberg wrote:
> Thanks for writing this up. It convinces me to give up on AWS and
> either find another solution or live with what I have now.

I don't think you ever mentioned -- are you already using `git
worktree` to get multiple source checkouts or are you working off a
single build tree? I find using it essential to reducing context
switching overhead.

Also AWS is by far not the only game in town when it comes to server
hosting. If you don't mind getting something on a month-to-month basis
rather than hourly then bog standard server hosting providers are
probably a much cheaper option. Since they don't offer any of the
fancy managed cloud features you're unlikely to need.

I can recomend Hetzner in terms of price, if you don't mind just
getting some old(ish) 4 core, 8 threads hardware they have some really
affordable options in the 30EUR/mo range (look for the "Server
Auctions" stuff).

--Daniel