a better workflow?

Steven Shaw steven at steshaw.org
Wed Jul 24 02:58:58 UTC 2019

Hi Richard,

I'd second Hetzner. They are in Europe so latency should be pretty good
from England. I don't build GHC regularly but I have just purchased a
machine similar to this one from Hetnzer
<https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/ex62-nvme> (with only a
single 500GB Samsung 500GB 970 EVO Plus) and it makes a meal of my client's
application with many dependencies. We use a Hetzner machine at work as a
CI server and it hasn't let us down yet.

Note that I used to use GCP because my MacBook Air wasn't really up to the
task. I'd use tmux and emacs so things were pretty good (on a free trial
with preemptible — shut down your machine when you're not using it and it
can be pretty cheap). However, SSD speeds are not like those you get with a
dedicated server. IIRC 300Gbps vs 1000Gbps.

Cheers,
Steve.