Thoughts on the Contributing page

Alp Mestanogullari alp at well-typed.com
Wed Jan 30 19:22:41 UTC 2019

Hello,

On 29/01/2019 14:08, Andreas Klebinger wrote:
> On hadrian:
>
> Documentation will eventually catch up as more people use hadrian but
> imo things that
> need to be supported are:
>
> - Some workflows:
>   * make fast
Right, so we're in the process of discussing something very much related
at https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/16253. For reference, this is
what 'make fast' does:
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Using#Skipdependencybuilding
>   * ./validate
I'm in the process of tweaking the validate script to have an
'--hadrian' mode. I'll document it as soon as it works, along the code
changes, in the upcoming merge request.
>   * make EXTRA_HC_OPTS="..."
I think you can already achieve this (but it's perhaps not documented in
'make.md'), with the flavour/user settings mechanism:
https://github.com/ghc/ghc/blob/master/hadrian/doc/user-settings.md (see
for example the different 'userArgs' definitions).
> - On windows build.bat defaults to stack which I think has never
> worked on my box.
Andrey? (cc'd him)