GHC | Some refactoring in tcInferApps (!116)

Richard Eisenberg rae at cs.brynmawr.edu
Mon Jan 14 13:41:46 UTC 2019

I confirm that I see "Unresolve discussion" buttons in the "Discussion" page, after "Toggle Discussion" is clicked.

Perhaps we have this working convention: the dev that starts the discussion is expected to resolve it. I doubt GL can enforce that convention, but we can just agree to it all. So, in the case at hand, I wrote the patch, and Simon started several discussions. As I address them, instead of resolving the discussions (as I did), I would just say "Done" (or similar). Then, Simon's re-review would spot my comments and then click resolve, when the matter has met his satisfaction.

Ben: I imagine this will not be the only such convention we arrive at in this vein. Is it possible (and reasonably easy) to set up some service whereby new contributors get a "welcome" email upon their first submission of an MR? (But only upon the *first* submission!) This would include hearty thanks for contributing, etc., but also a few GL pointers and our working conventions. To be honest, even forgetting about working conventions, an email of thanks at that stage would probably set the stage for a nice working environment for contributors. (Right now, they probably submit, get some silence, then see a slew of comments telling them what they've done wrong, and then get a "Thanks so much!" after all those negative comments. This may be somewhat standard in open-source -- and isn't so bad that it *needs* change -- but that doesn't mean we can't do better.)

Richard