Feedback request: GHC performance test-suite

Ömer Sinan Ağacan omeragacan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 12:25:06 UTC 2018

Thanks for doing this. I think it's great that someone's working on the test
suite.

About storing in git notes: what is the format here? If I want to see numbers
for a given commit does `git notes show <commit>` show me all the numbers at
that commit or only the differences from previous commit? Do we have an example
note to look at to get an idea of what the format is?

I think it'd be better if we could make a more concrete plan about the
"drifting" problem mentioned in the future work before merging this. I don't
know what are the plans here (how much time will be spent on this work) but that
future work may never happen, so perhaps for the time being we want to keep the
reference values (not sure where to keep them though) to avoid making some
programs run 20x slower in a few years. I think it'd also be better if we could
highlight this change more in the proposal as I think it's an important one.

Ömer

David Eichmann <davide at well-typed.com>, 13 Eyl 2018 Per, 11:25