perf.haskell.org update: Now using cachegrind

Sven Panne svenpanne at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 17:28:14 UTC 2017

> [...] I also wonder whether, when using cachegrind, the results from
> different machines are actually comparable. [...]

In general, they are not really comparable: cachegrind doesn't collect
*actual* cache statistics, it emulates a simplified version of the caching
machinery, trying to auto-detect parameters, see e.g.:

   http://valgrind.org/docs/manual/cg-manual.html#cg-manual.overview

This doesn't mean that the numbers are useless, but they are only (good)
general hints, and in rare extreme cases, they can be totally off from the
real numbers. For the "real stuff", one has to use "perf", but then you can
only compare numbers from the same CPU models.