GHC staus

Boespflug, Mathieu m at tweag.io
Sun Sep 3 14:52:50 UTC 2017

Hi George,

>> Currently it is looking like 8.4.1 will be another cleanup release.
>> The only item I can think of beyond those listed on the status page is
>> the possibility of progress on #8809.
>

> I believe there was a post on the Tweag IO blog suggesting linear types work
> might make 8.4.1. If not true it might be worth saying this is coming post
> 8.4.1 but I guess that's true of lots of things.

That would depend on several things:

1. the target date for GHC 8.4. Major releases used to be spaced by
about a year in between them. But there has been discussion of
substantially shorter release cycles. Ben, has a target date for GHC
8.4 been set yet?
2. whether -XLinearTypes as proposed (it hasn't yet!) gets accepted by
the GHC proposals committee.
3. whether, once the branch is ready, it passes review and the release
manager deems the branch stable enough to be merged into the next
release branch.

Great to see interest regarding this in-development language extension!

Best,

--
Mathieu Boespflug
Founder at http://tweag.io.