Notes from Ben's "contribute to ghc" discussion

Matthew Pickering matthewtpickering at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 11:26:07 UTC 2016

Thank you for this comment Anthony.
I thought about it over the last day and think you have it spot on.
This is the key sentence:

> The truth is that it what I complained about is *not a problem*
> for GHC devs in so far as they are happy doing GHC development!

It seems that the point that you are getting at is that currently the
development process is heavily optimised for existing developers.
There are quite a few moving parts but once you get a handle on them
all it works well for me at least. The argument seems
to be that we should (much) more heavily optimise for new
contributors. (I think this is what Chris is saying as well).

What I am trying to say is that we should meet in the middle.
We should keep using phabricator as for regular contributors github is
too painful to use for a project of GHC's size (as rust exemplifies
with the custom bots). In order to improve the newcomer's experience
it would be beneficial to consolidate as much as possible to one
domain so that new contributors have only one place to look. Does this
sound sensible to you?

I would also like to take this chance to apologies to Chris for
cutting off the discussion we were having. I would appreciate it if
you would directly respond to the suggestions in
this message.

Matt