Notes from Ben's "contribute to ghc" discussion

Harendra Kumar harendra.kumar at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 08:23:32 UTC 2016

On 25 September 2016 at 12:48, Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > It will be great to have something like that. Something that you
> > figure out digging at ghc trac wiki pages, mailing lists, google
> > search etc will be a few minutes job for a mentor. It may be a bit
> > taxing on the mentors but they can limit how many newbies they are
> > mentoring and also breed new mentors to keep the cycle going.
>
> I hope and assume that already now that every possible contributor who
> has questions like this and asks (e.g. on irc) will get a helpful
> answer. Is that insufficient?

Maybe. Though irc seems to be quite popular among Haskell community and
other open source communities I have never been able to utilize it
somehow.  I don't know if there is something wrong with it or with me. I
installed an irc client logged into it once or twice but never got hooked
to it. Such questions on ghc-devs maybe a nuisance for a lot of other
people or at least that's what I felt as a newbie. I usually tend to do a
lot of homework before sending a question to ghc-devs. Maybe a ghc-newbies
like mailing list (one more list!) can give the impression of a lower
barrier for sending stupid or operational questions.

-harendra