Notes from Ben's "contribute to ghc" discussion

Richard Fung minesasecret at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 01:43:00 UTC 2016

I suppose I'll take this opportunity to bring this thread back on topic and
have everyone read my thoughts guilt free.

As a newcomer who recently submitted my first patch, I disagree with
Chris's points. I'm just a junior developer who has never worked on a
compiler before, so maybe the experience will be different for people from
other backgrounds. I guess you're allowed to disagree with me even if
you're from a similar background.

In my (short) experience, Github vs Phabricator, using Arc, and the points
mentioned in the linked blog like coding style and comments were all non
issues. Again, this is just my experience and others might feel
differently, but if so I encourage them to raise their points and hopefully
also explain in detail the issues encountered.

For me the only issue was being able to understand the code base. Sadly,
this was actually a huge barrier because, rather embarrassingly, after
months of reading through the code, in the end I only managed to submit a
patch after Simon told me exactly what I needed to do. Even more
depressingly, the other Simon (Marlow) was unhappy because it caused a
performance regression so the patch was rejected! Sad life..

In other words, I found the difficulty in actually being able to contribute
a meaningful patch is far greater than any difficulty in learning to use
the tools and process required to submit a patch.

Of course this is to be expected from a code base as large, old, and
complicated as GHC's, and I'm not too sure what can be done from a
technical standpoint to address this, besides better documentation. From a
process standpoint though, if I didn't have personal assistance from Simon
and Ben (Thank you!!!) I imagine I would have given up much sooner, despite
having been relatively motivated.

I don't know if this would be possible of course considering GHC developers
are very busy as it is, but it would be great if newcomers could be
assigned a mentor to contact when in need of help. Maybe I am just weird,
but I actually felt bad emailing everyone for help, so I would typically go
much longer than comfortable before asking for help. As you can imagine, as
the struggle increases, the likelihood of giving up also does, and I will
admit I thought about giving up many times.

I realize this would probably be difficult to scale, but hopefully as new
developers come, they would also be able to mentor others. I think this is
similar to what is done in the industry by many companies as well.

In summary, difficulty of understanding code base >>> difficulty of using
tools and following documentation.