Notes from Ben's "contribute to ghc" discussion

Christopher Allen cma at bitemyapp.com
Sun Sep 25 01:29:33 UTC 2016

I'd be willing to help with work required to open up GHC development
more along multiple lines including:

Bots/automation for Github

Talking to Rust devs about what works, what doesn't

Talking to GHC devs about what works, what doesn't,
comparing/contrasting with other processes such as Rust's

Papering all this up into a "where we are, where we'd like to go" document

Writing documentation and tutorials for getting new developers on board

Manually on-boarding new developers

I am willing to do this work in addition to my 9-5 work using Haskell,
the book(s) which are a full-time job unto themselves, and the open
source work I do.

I will not do any of this as long as this is the attitude of GHC
developers. I can not in good conscience encourage people to
contribute to a project controlled and represented with such hostility
and dismissiveness. The needs of the community and of new and casual
contributors have to be taken seriously. This is not for their sake
alone, it's to ease the workload of the maintainers and to mend the
worsening culture gap.

--
Chris Allen
Currently working on http://haskellbook.com