Notes from Ben's "contribute to ghc" discussion

Jason Dagit dagitj at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 06:16:52 UTC 2016

On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 6:29 PM, Christopher Allen <cma at bitemyapp.com>
wrote:

> I'd be willing to help with work required to open up GHC development
> more along multiple lines including:
>
> Bots/automation for Github
>
> Talking to Rust devs about what works, what doesn't

Last year I approached some folks in the rust community because I wanted to
learn how to contribute to the rust compiler. In my experience, the really
special thing they had was an identified pool of contributors who were
willing and able to provide mentoring. I got hooked up with a mentor and
that made all the difference. I had a real live person I could talk to
about the process, the process-meta, and that person had context with me.
Pretty much everything else was just details.

GHC dev probably has mentors too, but I don't know because I've never
thought to check or ask.