simple pictures about GHC development flow

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Fri Oct 28 16:36:31 UTC 2016

Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Am Freitag, den 28.10.2016, 21:19 +0900 schrieb Takenobu Tani:
>> For myself and new contributors, I drew overview pictures about GHC
>> development flow.
>>
>>   GHC development flow
>>     http://takenobu-hs.github.io/downloads/ghc_development_flow.pdf
>>     https://github.com/takenobu-hs/ghc-development-flow
>
> very nice! I wonder where we can keep it so that people will find it,
> and how to make sure it stays up-to-date.
>
> You could add travis to the tools sections. It is, in a way, a second
> line of CI defense: Runs a bit less, but is available when Harbormaster
> fails, and is a different environment. Also, if you fork GHC on github,
> travis will automatically test your commits.
>
> There is a box „committer flow“. What exactly is meant by that? Is
> there more to be said about that?

I think this means someone with commit bits simply pushing a patch
without submitting to code review. Ideally we'd be able to deprecate
this workflow in favor of the "auto-validating push" that you've
proposed.

I started looking at implementing this earlier this week; sadly
Harbormaster doesn't make it easy as there is no way to manually fire
off Harbormaster builds without creating a Diff. Nevertheless, I
have an initial hack; perhaps I'll be able to finish it next week.

Cheers,

- Ben