Patterns & Quality Attributes Research

Michael Skeen mmskeen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 03:16:59 UTC 2016

Dear Haskell Compiler Community,

We are doing undergraduate research on software architecture patterns and
quality attributes for Utah Valley University.  We recently analyzed the
work published on Haskell Compiler in the Architecture of Open Source
Applications <http://aosabook.org/en/index.html> (AOSA) and referenced it
in a paper we presented at the 13th Working IEEE/IFIP Conference on
Software Architecture (WICSA), as attached.  As a part of our continuing
research we wish to validate our architectural analysis for Haskell
Compiler with the current developers.

We would like to know if we are missing any patterns or quality attributes
that may have been included in Haskell Compiler, or if there are any we
listed that aren’t used. Any additional comment on these topics you might
have would also, of course, be welcome.

We believe we found the following software architectural patterns in this
application:

Pattern Name

Is This Found in the Architecture? (yes / no / don’t know)

Comments (optional)

Interpreter

Layers

Pipes & Filters

Plugin

Rule-Based System

Other?

We also identified the following quality attributes:

Attribute Name

Is This Found in the Architecture?

Comments (optional)

Scalability

Usability

Performance

Portability

Reliability

Portability

Maintainability

Testability

Modularity

Robustness

Other?

For your convenience, we have a complete list below of the patterns and
quality attributes we referred to when conducting our research. To clarify,
we are specifically studying architectural patterns, rather than design
patterns such as the GoF patterns.

Architectural Patterns Considered

Quality Attributes Considered

Active Repository

Scalability

Batch

Usability

Blackboard

Extensibility

Broker

Performance

Client Server

Portability

Event System

Flexibility

Explicit Invocation

Reliability

Implicit Invocation

Maintainability

Indirection Layer

Security

Interceptor

Testability

Interpreter

Capacity

Layers

Cost

Master and Commander

Legality

Microkernel

Modularity

Model View Controller

Robustness

Peer to Peer

Pipes and Filters

Plugin

Presentation Abstraction Control

Publish Subscribe

Reflection

Rule-Based System

Shared Repository

Simple Repository

State Based

Virtual Machine

Please respond by October 17, if possible.

Thank you for considering our request, and for your continued work on
Haskell Compiler.

Sincerely,

Erich Gubler,

Danielle Skinner,

Brandon Leishman,

Michael Skeen,

Neil Harrison, Ph.D. (advisor)

Reference: Neil B. Harrison, Erich Gubler, Danielle Skinner, "Software
Architecture Pattern Morphology in Open-Source Systems",WICSA, 2016, 2016
13th Working IEEE/IFIP Conference on Software Architecture (WICSA), 2016
13th Working IEEE/IFIP Conference on Software Architecture (WICSA) 2016,
pp. 91-98, doi:10.1109/WICSA.2016.8