Testsuite and Python 3

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Wed Nov 30 19:46:37 UTC 2016

Hello everyone,

Note that yesterday I flipped the switch in the build system to use the
Python 3 interpreter by default when invoking the testsuite driver. The
motivation for this is the fact that Python 2.7 is quite buggy on
Windows, which resulted in spurious testsuite failures (see #12554).

The question remains, however, of how much we care to preserve
compatibility with Python 2. From what little I've seen so far I think
it would be easier for everyone involved if we just let Python 2 pass
into the sunset. Afterall, Python 3 is no less available than 2 at this
point. Thoughts?

Cheers,

- Ben