x86-64 unknown-linux

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Mon Jun 6 13:58:03 UTC 2016

On Jun 5, 2016, at 10:46 PM, Austin Seipp <austin at well-typed.com> wrote:

> On Linux, the builds are keyed by the OS name they were built on. This is because systems like CentOS have different versions of libgmp, glibc than e.g. Debian derivatives. So they actually refer to different paths, are built against different APIs depending on what's available, etc. That's why the names are distinguished; in the past only Debian-based builds were offered, but I started building CentOS versions in the 7.8.x era.
>
> The debian-based builds are normally the 'lowest common denominator' that works on all modern systems. Given that, you want:
>
> https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.0.1/ghc-8.0.1-x86_64-deb8-linux.tar.xz

Thanks for this explanation. If that's the go-to distribution for any arbitrary linux, perhaps we should make a symlink with "unknown-linux" point to it. To be clear, I don't really know what I'm talking about, but I do see that many other directories on downloads.haskell.org/~ghc have "unknown-linux" options and I feel safer using that than a binary for a distribution I don't have.

In any case, thanks for the clarification!
Richard