a reliable way of dropping levity args?

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Fri Jan 29 03:07:41 UTC 2016

Levity is very simple:

> data Levity = Lifted | Unlifted

And that's it, as far as Levity is concerned. The weird thing is TYPE, whose type is Levity -> TYPE 'Lifted. (Yes. TYPE's type mentions TYPE.) The * of yore is now spelled TYPE 'Lifted. The # of yore is now spelled TYPE 'Unlifted. * and # really are just type synonyms. (See them for yourself in GHC.Types.hs.)

There is some discussion on wiki:NoSubKinds, but it may be a bit out of date.

And, yes, a more obvious function to drop levity arguments (to unboxed tuples, presumably) is a good idea.

Richard