[ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 release candidate 2

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Tue Feb 9 08:58:01 UTC 2016

Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Am Sonntag, den 07.02.2016, 19:13 +0100 schrieb Ben Gamari:
>> As always, we look forward to hearing about any issues that you
>> encounter with this candidate. Thanks to everyone who has contributed so
>> far!
>
> I cannot bootstrap 8.0.1-rc2 with 8.0.1-rc1
>
> unrecognised flag: -this-unit-id
>
> Usage: For basic information, try the `--help' option.
> https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=ghc&arch=arm64&ver=8.0.0.20160204-1&stamp=1454952602
>

> I didn’t quite follow the Cabal issues on the tickets list, so this
> might be known, but it certainly should not happen.
>
> Or is this a problem with 8.0.1-rc1 and I should just avoid that
> version somehow, and it will bootstrap with 8.0.1-rc2 just fine?

Yes, this should merely be a problem with -rc1. Edward Yang did
some cleanups of the package-system command-line flags in -rc2. The
original goal of this was to ensure that users with older Cabals aren't
surprised with the terrible errors that they are currently faced with [1].
Sadly this didn't quite get resolved in -rc2, however. See D1892 [2] for
one possible future direction for putting this issue to rest.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/11558
[2] https://phabricator.haskell.org/D1892