Help needed: Restrictions of proc-notation with RebindableSyntax

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 13:10:39 UTC 2016

The S&D parser I was referring to was based on tracking FIRST sets, and
provided a nice linear time parsing bound for (infinite) LL(1) grammars.
(You can't really compute FOLLOW sets without knowing the grammar has a
finite number of productions, but FIRST sets work perfectly well with
infinite grammars.) By doing so you can transform parsing into more or less
a series of map lookups for dispatch.

You need to carry a set of all characters that a parser will consume in the
case of legal parses, and whether or not the parser accepts the empty
parse. http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~rjmh/afp-arrows.pdf mentions this style
of FIRST-set tracking parser as the original motivation for arrows.

Of course, they didn't see fit to stop puttering around with parsers after
1998, so referring to "the S&D parser" is quite ambiguous! =)

-Edward