Proposal: accept pull requests on GitHub

Thomas Miedema thomasmiedema at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 09:53:40 UTC 2015

> The real hint is that "the number of contributions will go up". That's
> a noble goal and I think it's at the heart of this proposal.

It's not. What's at the heart of my proposal is that `arc` sucks. Most of
those quotes I posted are from regular contributors (here's another
one: "arcanist kinda makes stuff even more confusing than Git by itself").
Newcomers will give it their best shot, thinking it's just another thing
they need to learn, thinking it's their fault for running into problems,
thinking they'll get the hang of it eventually. Except they won't, or at
least I haven't, after using it for over a year.

Maybe the fundamental problem with Phabricator is that it doesn't
understand Git well, and the problems I posted on
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/WhyNotPhabricator are just symptoms
of it. I'm having trouble putting this into words though (something about
branches and submodules). Perhaps someone else can?

In my opinion it's is a waste of our time trying to improve `arc` (it is
34000 lines of PHP btw + another 70000 LOC for libphutil), when `pull
requests` are an obvious alternative that most of the Haskell community
already uses.

When you're going to require contributors to use a non-standard tool to get
patches to your code review system, it better just work. `arc` is clearly
failing us here, and I'm saying enough is enough.

I need to think about your other points. Thank you for the thorough reply.