too many lines too long

Jan Stolarek jan.stolarek at p.lodz.pl
Fri Nov 13 15:01:35 UTC 2015

My view on this is:

Firstly, I hate explaining myself to Arcanist. When prompted to explain the reason for too long
lines I typically enter "wontfix" without thinking too much.

Secondly, I really don't like how warnings clutter code reviews.

I have my Emacs highlight text beyond 80th column with a really ugly colour, so I strive real hard
to maintain 80-column limit whenever possible. But sometimes fitting in that limit is nearly
impossible: imagine being in a let nested in a do-notation nested in a guard nested in a where
clause. Approx. 15-20 columns are lost for the indentation. Nevertheless I would support
introducing a hard limit on having no more than 80 columns.

Janek

PS. It makes me really sad that we don't have any coding convention for GHC: we mix camelCase with
underscore_case, indentation is inconsistent (good thing we at least got rid of tabs!),
whitespace usage is inconsistent, etc. I could make this list very long.

---
Politechnika Łódzka
Lodz University of Technology

Treść tej wiadomości zawiera informacje przeznaczone tylko dla adresata.
Jeżeli nie jesteÅ›cie PaÅ„stwo jej adresatem, bÄ
dź otrzymaliÅ›cie jÄ
 przez pomyłkę
prosimy o powiadomienie o tym nadawcy oraz trwałe jej usunięcie.

This email contains information intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient or if you have received this message in error,
please notify the sender and delete it from your system.