too many lines too long

Dan Doel dan.doel at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 17:32:29 UTC 2015

I don't really have a strong opinion on what gets decided here. But, I
might take the blog post with some salt.

I write some Scala for work, and despite not being a fan of long
lines, I find myself writing them in Scala (and our code base has
many), because it is often difficult to break a single line into
multiple lines in a way that looks good in Scala (in my opinion at
least, although I know at least one other person who shares my
opinion). So for Scala, I'd probably look for justifications of longer
lines, because they look better there.

By contrast, I find it much easier to format Haskell code to 80
columns in a way that looks good. So my average Haskell line length is
almost certainly shorter than my Scala line length, because I prefer
something around 80 columns when possible.

Just a thought,
-- Dan

P.S. I don't see why github would be relevant for a project that
doesn't use it. It seems like a better idea to base line length on
what the tools GHC actually uses can handle well. Maybe that was the
point, though.