wither the Platform

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Mon Mar 23 01:55:26 UTC 2015

On Mar 22, 2015, at 9:40 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's interesting, because http://ghcformacosx.github.io is pretty much the only thing anyone recommends to Mac users any more, and in #haskell people seem to actively steer everyone away from the Platform in all its incarnations.

I do indeed think that this is interesting, because this thread is the first time I had ever heard of ghcformacosx. I've used Haskell on a Mac daily for several years now. I subscribe to (and read at least subject lines from) Haskell-cafe and Haskell mailing lists -- including Haskell Weekly News and HCAR -- though I'm only occasionally on reddit and very rarely look at #haskell. Besides, I run MacOS 10.8, and so ghcformacosx doesn't help me, anyway. (I installed 10.9 once upon a time. It slowed down my machine so much I preferred to reformat and roll back to 10.8, even though I was facing down a nasty deadline.)

At the least, this end of the debate shows me that the community has some disagreement about what today's status quo is, an important fact to settle on before charting a course for the future.

Richard