wither the Platform

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 01:40:31 UTC 2015

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 9:35 PM, Richard Eisenberg <eir at cis.upenn.edu>
wrote:

> I have to say that I'm quite surprised this conversation is happening at
> all. As far as I knew before doing some research in advance of this post,
> the Haskell Platform is *the* way to install Haskell on a fresh machine.
> It's certainly what I've relied on in getting Haskell on my machines (both
> MacOS 10.8). While I personally don't feel the need for the HP to have some
> curated set of libraries (especially now that there are other curated sets
> available), I do feel a strong need to have it be nice, shiny, and easy to
> install. At least for Mac, I don't know of a suitable replacement.

That's interesting, because http://ghcformacosx.github.io is pretty much
the only thing anyone recommends to Mac users any more, and in #haskell
people seem to actively steer everyone away from the Platform in all its
incarnations.

I think the time when the Platform release got held up for over a year
waiting for "important ghc fixes" pretty much killed all relevance for the
Platform as it currently exists. Maybe a reformulation and relaunch will
help, but from here it looks pretty doomed/dead.