GHC support for the new "record" package

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 20:22:16 UTC 2015

Personally, I don't like the sigil mangled version at all.

If it is then further encumbered by a combinator it is now several symbols
longer at every single use site than other alternatives put forth in this
thread. =(

xx #bar . xx #baz

or

xx @bar . xx @baz

compares badly enough against

bar.baz

for some as yet unnamed combinator xx and is a big enough tax for all users
to unavoidably pay that I fear it would greatly hinder adoption.

The former also has the disadvantage of stealing an operator that is
already in wide use.

Even assuming the fixity issues can be worked out for some other set of
operators to glue these tother we're still looking at

x^!? #bar!? #baz

vs.

x^.bar.baz

with another set of arcane rules to switch back and forth out of this to
deal with the lenses/traversals/prisms/etc that many folks have in their
code today.

It is something like 3 extra sets of symbols to memorize plus a tax of 3
characters per lens use site.

I know that I for one would hesitate to throw over my template haskell
generated lenses for something that was noisier at every use site. For all
that lenses are complex internally, they are a lot less arbitrary than that.

The import Field trick is magic, yes, but it has the benefit of being the
first approach I've seen where the resulting syntax can be as light as what
the user can generate by hand today.

-Edward