Keeping the "Newcomers" wiki page alive

Jan Stolarek jan.stolarek at p.lodz.pl
Thu Nov 13 07:43:59 UTC 2014

I believe that current difficulty field is intended to mean "the amount of time required by
someone who already knows what to do". Obviously, that's not the metric that we want to use for
labelling newcomer-friendly tasks. (I wonder if the difficulty field in its current form is even
useful to us?)

Obviously, the metric that we want is "the amount of code familiarity required to fix a bug". For
newcommers we probably want tickets that require knowledge of <1000 lines of code.

I think the important questions are:

1. Do we find the current "difficulty" field useful?
2. Should we have a Trac field to label accessibility for newcomers?

My answers are:
1. No.
2. Yes, we should have a filed with accessibility levels like:
newcomer/intermediate/advanced/rocket science.

If we have 2) then we can have a list of tickets in the Newcomers page generated dynamically.

Janek