Commit messages for WIP branches (Was: Question about `validate` workflow)

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Mon Nov 10 02:53:41 UTC 2014

On Nov 9, 2014, at 2:42 PM, Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de> wrote:

> Am Samstag, den 08.11.2014, 22:33 -0500 schrieb Richard Eisenberg:
>> I've stopped validating locally, allowing Travis to do it for me. If
>> you use a `wip/...` branch and push to the main GHC repo, you can find
>> build reports at travis-ci.org/ghc/ghc. Or, I'm sure if you clue
>> Travis in, this can also work if you push to your own GitHub fork of
>> GHC.
>
> of course this spams ghc-commits quite a lot.

Which brings me to ask: why send email to ghc-commits for `wip/*` branch commits? I've personally gone back and forth between using the main GHC repo for my WIP because of precisely this issue. If there were no emails generated, I would surely always use the GHC repo -- it's easier for others to find my work, and tracking a branch in my head is easier than a separate remote and a branch. As it is, I'm always slightly embarrassed when I push to my `wip/rae` branch, causing other people to get emails about my internal GHC meanderings. But, I'm using GHC's repo now for better integration with Phab, for when Harbormaster pulls base commits.

So, I propose: Do not send commit emails for commits to `wip/*` branches.

What do we think?

Thanks,
Richard